Thursday, December 24, 2009

Banksy is my facebook friend


Living/working in Williamsburg, you can't help but be aware of graffiti.  Murals, tags, throw ups, stencils.  (Point of admission, I am not a fan at all of taggers. And I swear if I ever meet you Curtis, I'm hauling you in for the $350 to replace my shop gate! I digress....).  Just walking around the shop hood feels like an open air gallery, (including the mural above by R.Robots on N. 3rd and Bedford). So it was in this new appreciation of the art that I friended Banksy.  But I'm getting ahead of myself...

Last year I read an article in the London Daily Mail outing Banksy as Robin Gunningham, a 36 year-old former public school boy from Bristol. Now I'm not the gullible sort, cynical more like it, so given Banksy's success at remaining anonymous, I doubt he'd be caught in such an easy snare by the Daily Mail.  Still I decided, what the hell, I'll check out his Facebook page.  This was his description:
Robin wishes he has painted on a large variety of walls and buildings, none of which belonged to him. He wishes he has exhibited in the British Museum, the Tate and the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art, none of whom invited him.
Intrigued, I sent him a friend request. Personally. Which mind you, I do not do to people I've never met. Never have. I swear.  But no one was looking and I was curious....  He accepted.  Not so picky this Robin fellow.  So, do I now know who Banksy is or even still, who Robin Gunningham is? No.  He definitely has some inside connections to Bansky (one artist, many artists??) because he managed to post pictures of Banksy's Bristol (Bristol, get it?!) exhibit long before it opened. Mmmhmmm. Who knows? I honestly don't even care. To me, it's a great way to see the latest Banksy pieces without having to seek them out. (Like these below during the Copenhagen summit.)  Right there in my Faebook updates, eye candy, along with pics of my fifth grade classmate's daughter's birthday party!

Don't you want to be Robin's 2,758th friend? He might not be all that selective, but he posts great pictures and just says the darndest things.
Robin Gunningham:  The greatest thing about Facebook is that you can quote something and totally make up the source. – George Washington

No comments: