Monday, December 21, 2009

Man Shops Globe


My favorite part of owning a boutique is definitely buying for the shop. I love researching new trends, sourcing new vendors, culling the best items and curating a collection each season. Still that’s only a fraction of my job and admittedly 99% of it takes place at home in New York and with media/online. So I was more than curious and even envious when I just learned of a new show, which started airing in October on the Sundance Channel, called “Man Shops Globe.”

The show follows Keith Johnson as he travels the world, from flea markets in Paris to remote villages in India and obscure art studios in Turkey, buying unusual decorative objects, furniture, and textiles for Anthropologie stores. Though the show is a little like an extended Anthropolgie commercial, it is still very inspiring and visually beautiful. I found myself pausing, replaying and taking numerous screenshots, especially around the flea market scenes. The most interesting parts of the shows are the stories of how collaborators came together, and how an order from Johnson can change someone’s livelihood and life.

Johnson calls it the “greatest job in the world” and there’s certainly no denying that it is inspirational to watch someone so passionate about what they do, especially when what they do, is what I love!

You can watch webisodes and clips online on the Sundance Channel website. The show airs Wednesdays at 10pm on Sundance. We set our DVR.

No comments: