Friday, February 12, 2010

Unrequited Love Songs
















   
What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands--literally thousands--of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music? 
Nick Hornby's novel High Fidelity

I know I've been inundating you with hearts and the color pink so in case you don't call it a holiday, in case you don't want to celebrate, or maybe you just want some free good music.... Download this break up mix for gratis (right click on the song and save as an MP3) by a variety of artists including Stars, Bon Iver, and Bright Eyes.  After the jump....


1. Elliott Smith-I Didn’t Understand
“You once talked to me about love and you painted pictures of a Never-Never Land. And I could’ve gone to that place, but I didn’t understand…”
2. The Radio Dept. – I Wanted You To Feel The Same
“It breaks my heart to say that when I was in pain, I wanted you to feel the same. But nothing gets you really, it’s a shame. I can’t believe you didn’t feel a thing…”
3. Pinback - Boo
“I still can’t get you off of my mind, I don’t think that we can pull this one off. We shall see, time will tell. What is time? And why does it taste like salt water inside of my mouth?…”
4. Stars - Your Ex-Lover is Dead
“It’s nothing but time and a face that you lose. I chose to feel it and you couldn’t choose. I’ll write you a postcard, I’ll send you the news from a house down the road from real love…”
5. Bon Iver – Skinny Love
“In the morning I’ll be with you, but it will be a different kind. I’ll be holding all the tickets, and you’ll be owning all the fines…”
6. The Appleseed Cast - The Fight Song
“We’re finding fault, when you kissed her or you slept with him, or you didn’t care. Now it all breaks, disintegrates. Well this is the last thing I’ll take…”
7. Sunset Rubdown - Us Ones In Between
“You are a waterfall, waiting inside a well. You are a wrecking ball, before the building fell. And I will mutter like a lover, who speaks in tongues…”
8. Ryan Adams – Come Pick Me Up
“I wish you would. Come pick me up. Take me out. Fuck me up. Steal my records. Screw all my friends, they’re all full of shit. With a smile on your face, and then do it again…”
9. Bright Eyes – A Perfect Sonnet
“But you know that she’s gone, because she left you a song that you don’t wanna sing…”
10. Vanilla Swingers – Danger in the Past
“Boys and girls that you once knew, all grown up and over you. Won’t let you go. Everything that you pursue, one more step ahead of you…”
11. Louis XIV - All The Little Pieces
“Nobody knows, Nobody knows that all the little pieces come apart. All the little pieces of your heart. All the little pieces come apart…”
12. The Weakerthans – Left and Leaving
“Memory will rust and erode into lists of all that you gave me: a blanket, some matches, this pain in my chest. The best parts of lonely…”
13. Guster - Backyard
“In the backyard, since last summer. Almost nothing left, just some pieces of the roots that once dug in…”
14. Muse – Time is Running Out
“I wanted freedom, bound and restricted. I tried to give you up, but I’m addicted. Now that you know I’m trapped, sense of elation. You’d never dream of, breaking this fixation. You will squeeze the life out of me…”
15. Milosh – It’s Over
“It’s hard just to watch things slip away. It’s hard they say, just to see things drift away. Everything’s so temporary, I should have known…”
16. Amy Millan - Losin’ You
“Your eyes are like burned-out headlights, a little thunder in the night. I’m losin’ you..”
17. Grizzly Bear – Knife
“I want you to know, when I look in your eyes. With every blow, comes another lie. You think it’s alright. Can’t you feel the knife?…”
18. Mata Hari – Love Me Lonely (Beige Remix)
“This is how I get so lonely, I’ve been hangin on for way too long and baby it hurts. A bleeding heart it all you left me…”
19. Jeremy Enigk - Been Here Before
“I can’t stay long in the morning. Another world went wrong. It’s ok, now that you’re gone. Hold me in your eyes or suddenly deny- I sympathize…”
20. Jets to Brazil – Perfecting Loneliness
“There used to be a hundred ways to put my arms around you. Every one seemed new, natural, and true. Perfecting loneliness, ’till nothing’s holding us…”
21. Tegan and Sara - Where Does The Good Go?
“It’s love that leaves and breaks the seal of always thinking you would be real happy and healthy, strong and calm. Where does the good go?…”
22. Shout Out Louds – Tonight I Have To Leave It
“So I heard it’s no good to run, but it feels so much better now that it’s done and tonight I have to leave it…”
23. The Airborne Toxic Event - Sometime Around Midnight
“She walks up and asks how you are so you can smell her perfume, you can see her lying naked in your arms. And so there’s a change, in your emotions. And all these memories come rushing like feral waves to your mind. Of the curl of your bodies, like two perfect circles entwined…”
24. The Good Life - O’Rourke’s, 1: 20 A.M.
“It’s different when you’re lonely, the whole world’s in love. Holding hands between bar stools, and you’re holding your tongue…”
25. Mew - Shespider
“Because no one is safe from someone somewhere’s sweet embrace. And so i have simply decided to dislike you now…”


No comments: