Saturday, January 2, 2010

Discounted ABC's


I'm making a concerted effort to "take advantage" of the city. (Note I am not calling this a resolution, though I notably started yesterday. Way too weighty a noun. More like a suggestion....) Today's field trip was to the Bronx ABC Carpet & Home Warehouse Outlet. The main store in Union Square is beautifully curated/decorated and a bit overwhelming, and more importantly to me, out of reach expensive.  Lovely to look, nothing to buy, I sigh.  So was I rewarded in my trek to the Bronx? I wasn't in the market for anything in particular. My only purchase was an oblong Indian fabric pillow cover, $20, which Oscar already approves of (see pic below). Everything in the warehouse is a little worse for the wear, damaged, scratched, worn, but in some cases super discounted. The decorative items are largely not worth the 10-50% discount when you're talking tears, stains and chips.  But, if you're looking for a larger piece, rug, dresser, dining table or bed, I'd definitely recommend a visit. Oh, that incense they were burning; I was totally transported to the  Cottage Emporium in New Delhi...with about a 400% mark up of course!  More pictures after the jump.






3 comments:

kate said...

I remember Cottage Industries!!! Too bad when I was 5 I really couldn't take advantage of the nice fabric and housewares...

Sheila Sharma said...

Love that design has always had a huge imprint on you too Kate! Cottage Industries is pretty amazing (and loved the no price haggling). No haggling in ABC either but prices are a little bit steaper!:)

StaceyTheFabulous said...

love it! Wish the Bronx was closer though. We need a new bed AND rug!!